Freight Crime in South African supply chains
Julien Horn, TT Club's Senior Underwriter for the region, alongside BSI's David Fairnie, Principal Consultant Supply Chain Security, and Jim Yarbrough, Practice Director at Global Intelligence Program, discuss their recent cargo theft report on freight crime in South African supply chains.
Julien is also joined by members of the TT Club team that service the region with regards to both claims and loss prevention.
Taking a deep dive into freight crime in South Africa, the new report highlights the country's ongoing vulnerability to cargo theft as well as the trends during the first half of 2020, including:
- Hijacking of vehicles in transit as the primary theft type
- Theft from facilities on the rise
- Johannesburg and surrounding province remain chief region at risk
- An uptick in incidents of cargo theft in Eastern and Western Cape
- Food and beverages and medical supplies have seen an elevated number of thefts in Q2