TT Talk - Costly pickings: the persistent accidental twin-lift problem
- crane operator error in not selecting a twin-lift mode or indeed in trying to lift with a fixed 40’ spreader;
- twistlocks not engaged properly;
- difficulty in observing what is being lifted, exacerbated by the depth of the hold and height of gantry cranes for the latest generation of container ships;
- override or disabling of the sensor system, either by the operator or the maintenance department (sometimes without informing the operational staff!);
- the ship’s manifest information being incorrect.
You may also be interested in:
When containers are in short supply, supply chain actors may take a more lenient approach to container inspection.
Third quarter cargo theft data in the US shows storage facilities targeted in 45% of reported cases; up from 20% of recorded cases in the same quarter in 2020.
Over 30 organisations from around the world have submitted entries for the 2021 TT Club Innovation in Safety Award.